PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jabiru engine failures
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2014, 04:49
flightstick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David,

Thanks for that explanation. I have a better understanding now. For me this is a steep learning curve. Just a quick change in subject. Im not particularly interested in all the BS going on with JAb . Why stress over something that is totally out of my control. Whatever happens happens. We that's my son and myself decided to go for it ourselves and try and make our J400 " Robust " to suite our mission which is touring, not flying around the patch. We wanted efficiency and reliability. We all know that cooling, engine management, fuel delivery is the key. I think we have managed this. We have gone from Avgas to Mogas successfully without an issue. We are able to control cooling , fuel flow to a point, right now we working on baffling/ ducting with some success.

Anyway the system does not allow the injectors to be individually tuned, they are pulsed in pairs. The main problem on some engines such as the Jab is that the intake manifold probably does not flow equal amounts of air so the AFR is slightly different in each cylinder, even with EFI. Some expensive systems like Motec allow individual cylinder trim for fuel but they are over $4K for the ECU I believe. Programming becomes very complex as the trim amount may vary with rpm and throttle opening. EGTs may not be a totally reliable guide for tuning either.Only way to do this is to change an injector to suite the data. I did request this from the developers but as you well know development and RD costs dearly. We have a Lamda sensor in the system sits about 20 cm on the exit side of the exhaust so its an accumulative reading of exhaust gases. The software does allow for O2 logging which is particularly useful for the WOT settings and cruise settings. Basically the system is mapped on the ground to WOT every 250 RPM using an external lamda probe, LM 2 . The fine tuning is done in flight by adjusting the mixtures and computing the differences . No changes are made in flight. All done in the map programming.

Anyway would really like to chat, don't think this is the place send me an email with your skype contact and we can knock heads.

cheers

Gary