PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OP 'TIL WE DROP
Thread: OP 'TIL WE DROP
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2014, 22:50
Top Bunk Tester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was stationed in AKI from 1981-83 on TASF. It was an excellent posting and the camp was fully manned and functioning well. As can be seen from the date the only war that was going on was on the other side of the world. Over the years since I've done many stops in AKI and always on base, never did get HOTAC. Always in 100 or 101. My last duty visit was in 97 and all still seemed OK.

Last time I was at AKI was in 2010, was returning from a CONDO assignment in Bastion. As some friends were on the trooping rotation crews I stopped off in AKI for the weekend for a social. I have to say I was shocked at the decline in the place, under manned, under funded and delapidation plain to see at every turn. Add to this PAYD and it is just not the place it was, thank God the kebab at Sylvanas was still up to scratch and Greg & Georgina are still going strong. Although more expensive, what isn't, the blame for this can be put squarely at the door of the Euro. The Aki Arms was also still pretty good.

All in all I left AKI with a large twinge of sadness ...... Or maybe I'm just getting old and suffering from a large dose of WIWO with lamp swinging