PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 5th Dec 2014, 18:50
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The most amusing event in my first visit to Barbados followed a similar, but not so well funded, walkabout as Dougie M. One morning after breakfast, and with a serviceable Albert and a crew rest day, the whole crew decided to wander down the beach from the Grand, where it was reported ( by our Captain) that there was a beach shack that did great barbecued burgers and beer lunches. Off we trotted, burned the calories and eventually found the recommended establishment. Lunch was, exactly as our Captain had described, smashing, and well worth the walk, a change for him, most of his recommendations usually incorporated Guinness as part of the repertoire (sorry if this might lead to any ID ideas skipper). Anyway, the walk back was underway, and the usual banter was underway, when a local chap (rasta?) jumped out of a bush. I'm not very good at a Barbudian accent, particularly when typing on an iPad, so please try and imagine the conversation.

" Hi guys, how yo doing ? How would you'll you like to do a tour of de island, all the local sites, churches and points of interest" ?

Skipper : "No thanks mate, we just want to walk along the beach back to the hotel".

This was repeated at least twice, before our Captain offered some profanity toward the rasta chap, suggesting he "go away fornicating".

To which the chap made his final pitch saying " no problem guys, y'all have a nice day, and would any of you like some wacky baccy"?

No one took him up on his final offer, no surprise there, but it was a source for much humour for the rest of the detachment.

From a GE point of view it was an interesting trip. The same deployment as described by AA62 in support of Caribbean forces movements, we had a problem early on when the Captains front window developed a huge crack on the inner laminate, and crazed across the outer laminate, making it unusable as a visual aid. With a 10 day deployment planned, all could be carried out unpressurised, we (the two GEs) dared to suggest that we would order a spare windscreen, and replace it on a planned, non flying day, before return via Bermuda. As it happened, there was no flying planned for the day prior to our departure, so we two GEs, and the hard working MSF Corporal attended Grantley Adams all that day. A windscreen change is a big job, ask any rigger, and this was no exception. We had to meet a target in that there was a setting time for the PRC (elastomer sealant) used in seating the new screen, and we had to complete a full ground pressurisation test, from memory, at least 12 hours before flying. As Dougie M says, it's hard work, and somebody has to do it. All went well, we even got out for a few beers before departure. One of my fondest memories, to this day of serving as an Aircraft Ground Engineer. Now look what you made me do, pull up a blinking sandbag again.

Smudge