PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OP 'TIL WE DROP
Thread: OP 'TIL WE DROP
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2014, 18:02
Jimlad1

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
To my mind there are a few issues here. Firstly, there is the fact that SHADER has commenced fairly unexpectedly, and as such, will take time to get the investment of time, accommodation and facilities to get to the BSN or KAF standard - lets not forget KAF was hardly a pinnacle of luxury when it opened.

I think there is an issue that while we work out the medium term campaign aspirations, objectives, and what our laydown will be to support this, we'll see more funds going in.

Then we have to remember that not only do people like to moan, often about even what is seemingly a good setup, but also that its not always based on reality. I've been extremely close to SHADER recently and struggled to find much that I agreed with in the letter.

Finally, there is the danger that the BAS/BSN/KAF setup is one that many of our more junior people have become used to. I sense a growing awareness that we've brought a lot of people in since TELIC started who perhaps are used to deploying, but not deploying austerely as has been done in the past (I don't mean that as an insult). We need to recognise that HERRICK/TELIC were perhaps the exception, and that while we can expect reasonable facilities when the campaign is established and on a steady state, we equally can't always expect to have access to the Ice Hockey rink and Pizza Huts of KAF every time.

There is an expectation management issue here - yes wifi is good, and yes we all want to get better accommodation and welfare fixed for people, but in an era where we will often find ourselves operating at short notice in odd places, I think we have to be better at mentally preparing our people that no there isn't always going to be an EFI or PX to go to at the start.

I fully get people are tired, and god knows the GR4 force has worked hard, but given this campaign is a few months old, that we're still bedding things in and that a lot is changing very rapidly, I think we're perhaps expecting too much too quickly for my taste.