PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OP 'TIL WE DROP
Thread: OP 'TIL WE DROP
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2014, 17:59
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having crap rats is part and parcel of life sometimes, although in fairness so is complaining about it. But why did the SNCO complain to the AVM about it.. didn't he have a FS, WO or JEngo to approach to address things? And did no one use some common sense, initiative and guile and work around the problem and why was the discontent and expectation not managed correctly?

20+ years ago, an army cook presented us with roasted marmite basted spuds, beef wellington and all the trimmings. Delicious. I can't remember how far into the middle of nowhere we were, but I do remember there wasn't electricity or a roof, it was minus 6 degrees, there was 3 feet of snow and we were being mortared.. that was sustained for months as well. And that wasn't sepia 19canteen.. it was post internet, awareness and 'human rights'.

If the problem is bad leadership and poor admin, simple.. b0llock someone and then address it.. why was this even allowed to be an issue as said AVM visited? But if the problem is a genuine financial one, then sorry.. but welcome to austerity - so let's see the SNCOs leading by example when times are hard (and sorry, but ropey sarnies isn't exactly 'hard' is it?).

As a punishment, at Aki, we used to have to leave the block to dig in on the sqn and live in a trench for two weeks on compo (".. act like animals and I'll treat you like animals" WO Brian Deeley - brilliant times!). I accept this is 2014, the BBC will always look for a human interest angle and civvy street offers increasingly attractive options but come on. I don't consider myself to be too old and past it but if the hardest part of the job is enduring cheese sarnies?