PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANALYSIS: Miltary faces 'perfect storm' of budget vs need
Old 5th Dec 2014, 16:37
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
NHS isn't a Black Hole of Incompetence,

How about the black of incompetence that is the Ministry of Defence and the Defence budget?

We have the fifth largest defence spend on the face of the planet, and yet face a constant round of capability reductions, holidays and falling numbers of absolutely everything.
pr00ne,

You are, I imagine quite right about the Defence Budget, it still amazes me, overseas campaigns or no, that we have so few actual assets. It had been suggested, but I'm not sure, that the Strategic Nuclear Deterrent is now paid for out of the peace time defence budget, rather than capitol expenditure, that would explain a bit. However, your black and white view contrasting the NHS budget with the defence budget doesn't seem entirely objective. Both, it would seem are ridden with incompetence and self interest and over officious spending practices. Further, given the amount of cash made available to the NHS (and I don't begrudge them a penny, I have need of their services on routine basis now) I do think that to defend the NHS and I dare say welfare budgets and complain about poor funding, as others not necessarily yourself have maintained, is a little rich (pardon the pun!) especially when the defence budget has been put through the proverbial mill, not since 2010 but since 1990. By the way, I thought we had the fourth largest defence budget on the planet?

FB