PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANALYSIS: Miltary faces 'perfect storm' of budget vs need
Old 5th Dec 2014, 16:17
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
However Tuc - and this is possibly an example of what AW is referring to.............
Indeed. I was talking mainly about capital expenditure. I recall when the Hotel Booking Service was introduced. A young lady of 16 was sent to Glasgow on a course. Her first time away from home. The HBS booked her into a cheapo place, but when she arrived on the late train she discovered the cost was "per hour".

Mechta has it right. You'd be given, say, £35 and what you did with it was up to you. When HBS came in, the £35 became £60 minimum; then they discovered MoD would actually go to nearer £100. The system demanded 3 Stars or more, with certain facilities like writing paper, desk etc. You'd find yourself booked into a place 30 miles from the factory instead of the guest house next door. MoD(PE)'s "solution" in our case was to insist 140 miles each way from AbbeyWood to Crawley was commutable so no overnighters. Be there for 0830 start, leave at 1800. Same for guys on Detached Duty from Fleetlands to London. 3 hours+ each way for years on end. It took its toll. My mate Brian died on the steps of St Giles Court. Investors in People? Don't make me laugh.