PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Pilotless airliners safer" - London Times article
Old 5th Dec 2014, 11:21
Uplinker

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts
Of course it will never happen. I've just had a long argument on a science forum with some science folk who reckon that personal, automatic pilotless cars will be both possible and available in the near future.

They say the machines will "....have 100% redundancy and be computer controlled so they won't be able to crash."

The only 'evidence' for their assertions is a single driverless car that Google is developing.

When I asked how such a machine would be able to look down and assess the landing site on someone's driveway for cross wind, turbulence, fixed hazards, loose hazards, loose pets and children, they told me "360 degree cameras, range finders, infra red, and anyway the technology is already used in CGI films". I then asked how any computer would be able to collect all that information and assess the risks by PREDICTING what might happen, in the way a helicopter pilot does.

After several carefully reasoned posts from me I have given up. Thing is they read too many comics and believe science fiction programs.

I don't see how there can ever be pilotless passenger aircraft. Before there could be, the human brain would need to be completely modelled. As of now, only a small part of the decision making process can be simulated. What about icing, avoiding thunderstorms, lightning, engine failures, gear failures, flap jams, generator failures, medical emergencies, bird strikes, explosive decompression, cabin fires etc. etc. ???? No computer or software could ever be developed to consider and react to the massive amount of variables and potential problems in even the most 'simple' passenger flight.

And before pilotless airplanes, we would need to have developed and proven driverless trains. (Operating in one dimension: forward speed) I know there are some, but we would need to operate and prove 100% of them. Then we would need to develop and prove driverless cars and lorries - 100% of those too. (Operating in two dimensions on defined roads). Only then could we even begin to dream of the concept of pilotless commercial aircraft. (Operating in three dimensions in the air and also unable to stop within a few vehicle lengths at any time).

The concept of pilotless computer controlled aircraft has arisen because some pilots make accidents, and some people's knee-jerk reaction is to say "well, obviously we must get rid of the pilots then, they are the problem" NOOOO! What is actually the root cause of this? = Bad training. Bad working conditions. Long working hours and working during the circadian low points. Minimum possible training hours to just pass then onto the line in an A320 with less than 200 hours actual flying experience in an actual aeroplane and NO experience in actual multi engined aircraft or of flying in bad weather. Or onto a Dash 8 without possessing the correct instinctive reaction to a stall for example.

Instead of all this nonsense, let's go back to some decent pilot training, some decent hand flying practice and some decent conditions and decent hours and decent contracts for pilots. That's what is really needed.

Last edited by Uplinker; 5th Dec 2014 at 11:31.