PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 5th Dec 2014, 10:04
ancientaviator62

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
smudge,
got my screeching in certificate when I was on Hastings. Ah the Bermudiana and the Castle Harbour hotels in Bermuda ! Do they still exist ?
Back to my Barbados tale. But first a pic of our basha taken from the boat that took us on a sunset rum punch cruise. Needless to say the supply did not last long.
When the Caribbean islands became independent they had an arrangement that in the event of trouble on one island (coup etc) the others would come and help. As they had no transport a/c we and the u/s would supply.
So on the 24 June 1972 we set off in XV 300 to carry out this task.
As the USAF were providing more a/c they ran the scheduling.
I have to 'fess up to a minor run in with the lady Aerial Port. Major i/c the loads. They way it was initially set up had myself and the GE doing what I considered to be more re-roling than necessary. The result of our discussion was that she would give us the days task and we would arrange it for a minimum of a/c re roling. That is how we carried on shuttling around the Islands.
Shortly after we arrived there a S/L from group turned up (complete with wife) to 'observe and report' ! A nice jolly !
Part way through the task we were asked by the High Commission if we could fly some of them and some local worthies around the island.
We asked group who agreed provided the a/c was rigged as per the Families' Day Flying SOP. So we did scenic tour one for those lucky enough to get a 'ticket'.
We were asked by the Major if we would do a special to Roosevelt Roads to pick up some priority cargo and a few of the troops. When we got there we had to wait for this cargo to arrive and their rep was a bit reticent about what it was. We soon found out. It was all 'white goods' washers fridges freezers and the like. They must have cleaned out the BX at the place.
On arrival back at Barbados we were met by a curious Major who went bananas when she saw the 'priority cargo' . We of course were not bothered in the least.
We came home via Bermuda and then direct to Lyneham.