PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar 787 diverts to Guam?
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2014, 07:49
JetX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a 787 driver I think it's wise to look at the facts.

The 787-8 was the A model which will always have it's issues. However dispatch reliability rate is sitting at 98.5% which is HIGHER than the Airbus A380, that sits at 96.5%.

Kenyan Airways are getting 99.4%.

The 777 has a dispatch rate of 99%
The A330 sits at the same with claims of it exceeding 99%
However both of these are MATURE airframes.

Here is a fantastic link to Jet Blue's experience operating the E190
http://airinsight.com/2013/11/12/the.../#.VIFtYUubDZs

The 787-9 is a more refined airframe with differences that should experience less teething issues and the added benefit of having 3 years of dash 8 operations behind it.

A ULR flight analysis and comparison shows the 787 delivers a more cost efficient platform than the 777. On a 14 hour ULR with a payload of 25 Tonnes the 787 uplifted 20 tonnes less than a 777 and completed the flight in 30 min less. This means every 5th flight is free based on fuel savings and every 50th flight is free based on flight time savings. On paper it is an accountants dream and all operational hiccups and teething issues aside, once it becomes a mature airframe for all involved, Ground ops, Maintenance, Flight ops it will no doubt be a mainstay in the future of civil aviation along with the A350.

I've operated other Boeing airframes that normally run with a PDA of +1.8 to +2.2. The 787 is the first Boeing aircraft I've seen to operate with a PDA of MINUS.

As with any new pioneering airframes there will be issues. Pilots and Engineers are always resistant to change, look at the introduction of the glass cockpit and the argument of the need for a flight engineer. The 787 has one switch called "fuel balance" that sums up the bread and butter of that job. I'm sure that was never envisaged in the past and I'm sure the future will hold things we never imagined. Like drone freight flights or the similar.

The 777 was also pulled from it's EIS due to gear box issues and wasn't allowed to operate ETOPS until it was rectified. The A380 suffered major wing cracks and let's not forget the issues with Airbus and their pioneering fly by wire technology.

I can't comment on how JQ operate the dream machine or their engine options. However the 787-9 and 787-10 will be the main stay on most future fleets along with Airbus NEO's and 350's.

Here are some links to articles.

JUly 2014.
Airlines Singing Praises Of 787 | Commercial Aviation content from Aviation Week

November 2014.

http://nyc787.********.de