PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Pilotless airliners safer" - London Times article
Old 5th Dec 2014, 07:02
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Tourist
This is where you should come in and either say "oh I'm terribly sorry, I'll do some research in future before making statements"
There is a different way of knowledge in discussions, except research, and that is expierience. Those who sat in cockpits for years expierienced the hours of boredom and the seconds of horror. they need no research on that matter, they know it is not going to happen in the next 50 years.

You would wonder how often ECAM procedures include the famous word "if" in wording or in sense. All piloted aircraft are designed for the failure mode to hand it to the pilot, my words. The computers do the easy stuff, easy to design, easy to implement, and easy to drop out when the sh*t hits the fan. That is the present concept. Your unmanned drones have a bit of explosives for those cases when the computers run out of ideas. What proof do you have, that this failure fall back mode of yours concerning AF447 ( you brought that example yourselve) is anywhere available in close future?

I think you got too far detached from real flying, leading a meeting in a comfortable chair is different to flying aircraft, even when computers help in doing the job.

Last edited by RetiredF4; 5th Dec 2014 at 11:12.