PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Pilotless airliners safer" - London Times article
Old 5th Dec 2014, 06:05
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Even ECAM drills are a matter of putting the switches into the position which the software has already decided is safest.

So much for decision-making...
Have a hard look at the likes of a Fuel Imbalance checklist...(Boeing)

Having gone through Uni in the 70@s when AI was supposed to be around the corner forgive me for being a bit sceptical about some of the current claims.

I'm also well aware (from my friends that stayed in academics,) that these days it's all about funding and getting your project into the public eye...so I don't think providing links to any PR about some blue sky project gives the general public any real idea about the state of play ( putting forward links to projects is not "scientific debate"...but on that subject I could provide some great links on cold fusion BTW...).

IMHO reckon you might just see regular unmanned freight across the pond, between specific freight hubs, in the next 20 -30 years.

Routine unpiloted passenger flights between the like of CDG, LHR, JFK...at the very least 50 years off...but maybe that's me being a luddite.