PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Giving Up Smoking.. Help Wanted!
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2003, 01:46
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hypnosis is good stuff. Learn to self-hypnotise and it will help you relax and provide all sorts of other beneficial effects too.

I tried many times to give up the foul habit but it's real tough. Eventually I realised the problem was I really quite enjoyed it, and I was so totally addicted I could not believe myself when I said I would never have another cigarette again. Essentially I knew I was fooling myself when I decided to give it up, again.

So I told myself I'd have another one tomorrow. To not have another cigarette today was do-able, in fact it made sense and I could believe myself. When tomorrow came, I fooled myself into thinking I'd have another one the day after. Tomorrow never comes!

So I was able to do all the normal things, never got cravings, and a year later when somebody offered me a ciggy I thought I had cracked it, and accepted. Within a week I was on twenty a day and hooked for another year.

So I did the tomorrow thing again, and it worked.

So never, ever, ever have another. I know very few people who have actually never had another cigarette after giving up. Some are "lucky" in that they can control their input, most sucumb now and again . I never could control it, so best thing for me to do is avoid them.

Strange thing is, when we go to one of those nasty smoky pubs they say we smoke several second-hand-smoke cigarettes, but I don't crave for them. So for me, and so I assume others, it is also a mind-game battle to be won. Other person's mileage may vary.

Gingernut,

You are addicted to a chemical as powerful (and ? as dangerous) as heroin

Nicotine is far more addictive than heroin. I've seen a few heroin addicts brought into hospital with nasty complications of their habit (usually a septicaemia due to poor injection procedures), and their heroin addiction is the easy part to manage. Animal studies would suggest the same.

I've also been taught that quite a few people get "addicted" to the diamorph given for pain relief after some surgeries. It is relatively easy to ween them off in a day or so, just don't let them know about it Don't have a link to that, might be one of these old wive's tales.

Personally I think heroin is pretty safe in itself, but it does immense sociological (is that a real word?) harm to people. I used to walk around the streets with it in the old bag when doing house visits as a student, not sure if that sort of thing is done anymore. I also think I remember carrying twelve winchesters of high grade diamorphine around when I worked as a pharmacy boy in the hospital during a summer vacation. Always wondered how much that would be worth on the street