PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 4th Dec 2014, 22:17
Scyther

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USA or UK and other stuff

Hi everyone,

I was wondering... if you had the choice of pursuing an airline career in either the USA or the UK where would you go and why?

From what I can tell, the modular route in the USA seems to be a much more acceptable route to the flight deck for those of us who will never have a spare 100k lying around. The only catch is that you will most likely need a bachelors degree to be competitive for a major airline.

UK seems to offer a more direct route to the cockpit (integrated ATPL OAA/CTC) but only if you have the cash and you don't even get a PPL out of them? You are also stuck with your airline? Factor in a high degree of luck and being in the right place at the right time. The cadet programs are definitely worth as many shots as you can give them though as they are not available in the US.

I personally feel that America would be the best way to go if you factor out the cadet programs. You get all your licences (including PPL) and all options are open to you unlike in integrated ATPL/MCC programs. It is cheaper and you can work your way up the ladder.

And if you already loved your job would you give it up to pursue a career in the flight deck of a major? Or would flying Cessners for fun on the weekends satisfy? Is flying a big jet ACTUALLY much more exciting and enjoyable than flying a small prop plane and going on flying adventures around the world. I understand that there are A LOT of variables in this one but general thoughts would be appreciated... If you don't want to fly for money than why are you flying for money? Do you get more of a buzz from flying a big jet? Are the views much better?

I just can't shake off the feeling I get when I think about being in control of a large multi-million dollar jet aircraft, full of passengers that are relying on my skills and professionalism to get them from point A to point B safely and efficiently. But as I said, I can only imagine, I don't know what it actually feels like... I just can't get rid of that, "WOW, I wanna do that" feeling (shiny jet syndrome). Do you airline pilots still get that feeling?

Lastly, are you ever too old to become an airline pilot (bearing in mind you have to give your license back when your 60)? Will you still get a fair shot as anyone else starting out in your mid to late 30s?

I would highly appreciate your response!