PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Pilotless airliners safer" - London Times article
Old 4th Dec 2014, 21:21
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Tourist
The big benefit is that it will be safer.
We are the failure point in a huge percentage of accidents.
I truly believe that the only reason that the safety rate is so good is that the engineers have created amazingly foolproof aircraft. Probably the best engineered machines in history.
Now your true thinking shows up. I wait that you prove that statement, at the moment every system and every computer fails, and it fails more often then it is reported and makes the headline. That's because still human operators are still doing the important things and computers the routine stuff. Why has nobody invented a system which cuts in to execute the apropriate emergency actions when the sh*t hits the fan? Your drones blow up in those cases, mission failed, lets do "booom" before more damage is done. That is not good for headlines with more than 300 souls on board.

And while AF447 crew failed to act like they should have done, over 30 reported cases did their job well. Those are 30 reported sensor failures where the autopilot quit working and the pilots did the job. Reported ones and mentioned in the BEA report, but there are much more out there not mentioned and not reported, just handled safe and well by the crews. Those had all been cases where a simple airspeed failure caused the computers to quit. One missing input leading to BS output.

Remove the pilots, and you will have more accidents than ever before.

You are forgetting another thing. Humans make mistakes, and computers and their software are made by humans too. They make mistakes as well, and until this mistake is discovered it is hidden deep in the codes in multiple systems all over the world.

They are so good that today's pilots have forgotten how to fly. The managers don't want them to practise, and 2 sims sessions a year is a joke.
On those occasions that something really bad happens and the aircraft gets handed to the pilot we hear about it in the news.
I would suggest we change the managers, or remove them at all. Let aircrews keep proficiency and make it again a profession with knowledge and honor. Get rid of MPL and pilot to pay jobs. In my country a mason can try to pass his final test three times, after that he is out. A student pilot can repeat his test as long as his money lasts, that way an ape can learn flying.

I have sat in sims with guys from both seats from "quality" airlines that quite simply cannot fly a raw data ILS. I'm sure they once could, but they forgot long ago.
Won't practise hand flown approach if it is a bit gusty.
Won't practise manual thrust.
The simple fact is that if you can't do it any time any place, then you can't do it period.
The system has made them that way, guys like yourself who trust in man made computers and software more than in human manual skills. We only hear from bad pilots, the uncountable good ones do not count in your way of thinking. And its not the pilots fault, it is the system which is wrong.

Aircraft always seem to fail on ****ty days.
Computers don't skill fade.
Wasn't your argument that they do not fail at all? And maybe those pilots, who you talked about think the same. No need to train, computers will not fail, automation will always work. And it was not their idea either. The system has formed them that way.