PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANALYSIS: Miltary faces 'perfect storm' of budget vs need
Old 4th Dec 2014, 18:44
melmothtw

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts
Now that the UK is out of Afghanistan, just how many Chinooks and C-130s does the country really need? I wouldn't be surprised to see a reduction in the SH fleet, with many aircraft mothballed and for the C-130s to be retired early as Atlas comes into operational service.
Don't be too keen to call ENDEX on Afghanistan BEagle, especially as far as the Chinook force is concerned - UK retains Chinooks in Afghanistan - IHS Jane's 360

It's interesting to note that the Chinooks have been on deployment every year since they entered service in 1981. I'm sure there will be plenty of tasks for them once Afghanistan does finally wind to an end.

As for the C-130s, again I wouldn't be too premature in calling time on them either - UK may retain C-130J Hercules for special forces duties - IHS Jane's 360

I read in AvWeek also that the MoD has begun a study on replacing the centre-wing boxes on a number of the C-130Js, probably related to the SOF option.