PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UN accident reports kept secret?
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2003, 23:55
Cyclic Hotline

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The reason that the UN might publish these reports is because the families of the civilian UN employees that are killed in these accidents are never, ever, given information pertinent to the circumstances of the deaths of their loved ones! Does that sound fair to you? How would you feel if that were to occur to you and your family?

As noted above;

The UN doesn't have accident investigators, does not operate, own, manufacture or register aircraft.
This is indeed correct, however surely the identical logic would demand that the UN would thus ensure that any aircraft they contract is subject to adequate control and regulation in all the areas mentioned above, to ensure the safe operation of the aircraft and more importantly the safety of those individuals tasked with the duties the UN are undertaking. Remember, these are commercially operated aircraft, contracted under a competitive commercial bid process.

The UN operations have a horrendous safety history with helicopters; operated with inadequate oversight in every aspect of the entire regulatory process (simply search UN helicopter crash on the internet). For example, if somone can explain quite how a Ukranian operated Mi-8 crash in Bosnia is investigated, and under the auspices of which Aviation Authority, I would be very pleased to understand the process.

When you pay the lowest price, you may also get the lowest standards of safety and operation. A far more effective means is to ensure that the contractor qualifies in a number of basic, audited, requirements involving organisational and regulatory capability and the ability to operate safe operations. Selection solely on the basis of (low) price is hardly a sound mechanism to base the effectivity of your operation or the safety of your valued employees? Remember these operations are being funded by money from your pocket.

If anyone could provide me with a detailed accident report from any of these UN accidents, I would be extremely grateful.

Last edited by Cyclic Hotline; 29th May 2003 at 05:22.