PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Pilotless airliners safer" - London Times article
Old 4th Dec 2014, 10:33
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 425 Likes on 224 Posts
One of the things that computers are very good at is monitoring mechanical systems. The readings given to you in the cockpit are a very small selection of those available to a modern monitoring system currently fitted to airliners. The machine can do trend analysis and untiringly monitor those systems and is in an immeasurably better position to spot a spurious caption than a pilot who with the best will in the world cannot multitask like a computer.
There is a reason why all complex modern processes across all engineering now have computer monotoring.
I'm aware of that.
You appear to be trying to get me to believe that the data given to the pilot via a warning system is different to the inputs actually received by the onboard computer, or sent via data link to the ground station. That's incorrect rubbish.

My point is, if the onboard data collection system fails (and its backup, as did happen in my case), a human pilot can still make real time decisions. Without data, a computer based system cannot.

Last edited by ShyTorque; 4th Dec 2014 at 10:51.