PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So about EK...
Thread: So about EK...
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2014, 10:21
Trader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The one MAJOR consideration you should look at is just how LONG you want to be at EK!

If you give up a job at home in a seniority environment then going back will become an issue. In Europe, NA, OZ etc life as a junior pilot can be a bit difficult but with time the pay and rosters improve. Usually.

So you give up that seniority to get immediate benefits - more money and, for most, a big shiny jet. The lure of a large jet, unfortunately, clouds many peoples judgment.

I know more than a few pilots here, in their late 20's or early 30's who have come to the realization that they either have to go back now or spend the next 30 years at EK or as a contract pilot. I think this is why some of the younger guys are leaving. They have a very valid concern.

You are young and single now but won't be forever and as life passes your priorities change.

With time to command certainly above 7/8 years (unless something changes dramatically) this is a difficult decision. It means many years on a lower salary and I would NOT make a decision to come here on the HOPE that it will be faster than that.

You should be able to read between the lines here, take the posts with a grain of salt but with the realization that there is truth behind most and come to a decision.