PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flashair Airlines Boeing 737 accident - a lesson from the past.
Old 3rd Dec 2014, 23:35
Anthill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many years ago, Ansett determined that the 2 greatest risks to its operation were 1) CFIT and 2) Jet upset. This resulted in Ansett implementing a genuine jet upset training program.

This program consisted of each pilot in the company being given a take home VHS video and workbook. Both provided a comprehensive discussion of aspects of jet upset, CRM/HF considerations, aerodynamics and case studies. High and low altitude upsets were considered.

On completion of the workbook (which included a set of discussion questions), pilots were rostered for a 1 day class room session and also a 2 hour simulator detail.

The simulator sessions were the same across all fleets. It commenced with a wake encounter at the OM SY RWY 16R ILS where the aircraft rolled inverted. Virtually all pilots crashed. At the end of the session, the same scenario was presented and it was so confidence building to effect a recovery and avoid hitting the ground. This Jet upset training and Ansett's excellent cold wx operations training (developed by Finnair) wer two of the most informative and useful pieces of training that I have received during my career.

Upset training needs to be pitched at a level beyond "read the FCTM and remember to roll towards the sky pointer". Low-time pilots, a poor scan, reliance on automation(which has its place) all conspire to pose a bona-ride threat to contemporary (as well as historical) operations.

Centaurus has provided a fitting and timely reminder of the threat posed by jet upset. My opinion is that few organizations have sought to implement a training program that fully addressed a long identified operational threat. What has been learned from AF447? There has been attempts to discuss jet upset and recovery and this is useful. However, in the absence of a formalized training program, the industry is relying on the skill of individual instructors to impart the requisite information. This is simply not good enough. Companies need to implement a formalized training program and ensure all crews are trained to a common (high) standard.