PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Pilotless airliners safer" - London Times article
Old 3rd Dec 2014, 19:35
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aluminium

Try actually clicking on the links I put up.

That Blackhawk is independently is planning a route on video!

Re the bad autoland, what on earth has 60s technology in a system designed to have pilots got to do with this discussion?
I'm not saying that current airliners are autonomous. They are not designed to be.

Shy

The spurious warnings issue is one of the areas where an autonomous airliner has the advantage.

In a modern airliner, the engines are sending vast amounts of info back to Rolls or whoever that isn't even going to the pilots. You can be met on the ground by an engineer that tells you that your engine is tits. The computer can continuously monitor for trends and build up a picture and has a far greater chance of working out whether a caption is spurious or not.

You talk as if integration is an unachievable dream.
It is being worked on and tested today.
Yes combat is different. It is a more difficult problem in just about every way.
Civil aircraft should not and rarely do get into any sort of proximity to each other compared to military. Just ask any military pilot when he first gets TCAS. The response is always "You want me to move for that!? That's not a confliction! It's miles away!!!"