PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Pilotless airliners safer" - London Times article
Old 3rd Dec 2014, 19:07
Aluminium shuffler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tourist, the UAVs are currently able to fly a pre-programmed route and be given updates while in flight, but can't independently replan a route. Nor can they do any kind of complex air combat manouver, though I would cede the point that if the airframe is strong enough, it could out-turn a human pilot in a simple manouver to escape a guns kill. That ability will eventually come, but as I clearly said, current technology is not intelligent or flexible enough to cope with simple changes in circumstance, and outright manouverability is not much use to an airliner. What is needed in an airliner is a command system that can operate on faulty or partial data and still get the job done. Like I said, I had an autoland the other night that was going to put down on the grass, and manual intervention prevented that. That won't show up in any collated data of automation vs manual skills because there is no forum to collect such statistics as no accident or incident occurred, and that is the point Ozzy and several others have made. If you find that automation is more reliable than two human pilots, you're flying with the wrong people!