PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 3rd Dec 2014, 19:05
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ksimboy,

Well remembered. From the point of view of the GE MAROC was indeed an abbreviated MARshalls Orange Crop. Orange crop originally being part of the Vulcan ECM package. Curiously Wiki lists - Orange Blossom - Pod-mounted electronic support measures used on the Hercules. Either way, it was basically a bolt on to help with Radar detection warning. During the Sarajevo airlift, operated by SF crews, the crew were augmented by the inclusion of an Air Electronics Operator (anyone remember the "Bushy Bushy Steaks ?) who fed loads of chirps and squeaks on to the intercom circuit, and generally caused worry amongst the less knowledgeable, like myself. Although, a good in flight, approach based briefing soon had me in awe of these "one winged masters of chirruping"! Meanwhile, the other problem with the pods on the wingtip was the change in wing loading, meaning that fuel loads were changed for the modified aircraft to allow for the extra weight at the extremes of the wing. Not a problem on SF trips for the GE, but often caused problems when a modified aircraft was used for a standard route, and fuel was critical. I've no doubt that things have moved on since those days, but from my perspective, it was another aid to keep us all alive when others wanted to do otherwise. Welcome back Ksimboy, hope you recover fully and soon mate.

XV200 on the bay at Falconara (Ancona) note the MAROC pod.

Smudge