PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2014, 09:08
Bagso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runway event UK

WHAT ...Sir Howard Davies somehow advocating greater use of Manchester etc ? It must be me, I got the firm impression he was totally and utter dismissive personally. Same old agenda !

In actual fact he said that regional airports could assist ""temporarily. In other words the current expansion at MAN may be short lived AND we will have it all back down in London when we get RW3. Well ta for that.

And what of another comment he made, long haul from Manchester and indeed regional airports in general is more "environmentally damaging".....

From Manchester you can get anywhere in one stop, is that any seriously any worse than one stop specifically via LHR ?

The Q AND A really needed to be longer and more forensic. At not one point did he refer to the meteoric increase in long haul routes/frequency or capacity at Manchester since his commission first sat. I find that incredible, so much for all these airlines migrating to AMS, FRA and CDG !

SEE Sir Richard Leese comments for a more balanced view !

One other small point when the floor suggested SHD look at a proposal by UKIP (who are actually against expansion in the SE ) he suggested "he would examine the detail". I would prefer Manchester to win more routes based on merit and factual evidence.

It just seemed bizarre that centrally placed Manchester with its huge catchment and the best accessibility of any airport in the country and who were after all hosting the event, somehow failed to really communicate that message to the gallery whilst a random question seemingly put forward by a minority party was considered worthy of further investigation !

Last edited by Bagso; 3rd Dec 2014 at 12:58.