PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2014, 01:35
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Miniscule statement to the Parliament

At 09:01 am in the HoR the Miniscule made a statement...

Here is part of that statement under the heading - ATSB Governance :
ATSB Governance

The Government fully supports the vital role of the ATSB.
Independent investigation of accidents or incidents remains a critical element of the safety system, helping us understand the causes and hence the sources of risks to safety. This helps to avoid future accidents.
If the system is to work well, industry must cooperate in providing information during accident and incident investigations and in reporting incidents generally.

The Government will take a number of actions to give effect to this commitment including:
  • the appointment of an additional ATSB Commissioner with aviation experience; and
  • issuing a new Statement of Expectations to the ATSB once the Commission and the Government has had the opportunity to review the findings of the Canadian Transportation Safety Board review of the ATSB publicly released earlier this week.
Madam Speaker, yesterday the Canadian Transport Safety Bureau (TSB) released its independent report into the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB).

The ATSB tasked the Canadian TSB to undertake an independent review of their investigation methodologies and processes, how they were applied in specific cases and how this compared to international best-practice standards.

The TSB review looked in detail at three separate investigations, one of which was the Pel-Air inquiry which as Members may recall was the subject of a Report by the Senate Rural, Regional Affairs and Transport Committee.
While the Canadian TSB found that ATSB investigation methodology and analysis tools represent best practice and have been shown to produce very good results, they found that in the case of the Pel-Air investigation, there were errors made.

I am concerned that the TSB report raises some concerns about the application of ATSB methodologies in the investigation into the ditching of a Pel-Air off Norfolk Island in 2009.

As a consequence, I have asked the ATSB Commission to give serious consideration to reopening the investigation.

On a related point, as I have just announced I will shortly be appointing a new Commissioner to the ATSB with a specific background in aviation. This will fulfil an undertaking made by the Coalition prior to the election.

I have asked that the fresh review of the Pel-Air accident should take into account the findings of the TSB's report.
Also covered briefly by AA online...: Truss calls for fresh look at Pel-Air ditching

Well I'll be buggered...

Reckon it is only a matter of time before we hear that Beaker has gone on an extended leave of absence...

MTF...

Last edited by Sarcs; 3rd Dec 2014 at 02:10.