PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taildragger - in Tiger Moth or Chippie?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 21:19
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, I flew gliders. only one wheel. Only one chance to land it right every time.

Then I flew C152, etc etc etc. Did tailwheel conversion on the 150 Supercub at Clacton, good place to learn.

Then I flew the Supercub 180 horsepower glider tug at Booker. Didn't do a lot of tugging there, owing to a mishap. No it WASN'T MY FAULT! And thank goodness that was the first thing the tugmaster said, when there was a cracking sound and one main gear folded up on my perfectly decent landing....when it went to the workshop, the entire frame was found to be rusted out! So if you are going to invest in a Cub, get a younger model...

I then went to Texas and bought a lovely 150 hp Supercub built in 1977, had it boxed and sent to the UK. GOFER and I were very happy together, over a thousand hours, mostly pulling up gliders, though trips to France, Spain, and Ireland were also undertaken - though once we did arrive arse end up in an Irish Bog....due to a surprising crosswind. As by the time it groundlooped, we were traveling only about 5mph, there was no damage at all. Nice soft bog.

The joy of the 150 Supercub is balance (the 180 is nose heavy), easy handling, and a wonderful power to weight ratio. Never any doubt that your climbout will be enormously satisfying....and when the Cub is earning its keep by pulling up gliders, it is also very satisfying to do that well, to deliver the glider to a nice thermal and expeditiously return for the next.

The other complete joy is flying with both upper and lower doors open, and doing a steep right turn....you KNOW you are up in the air, nothing at all between you and that ground way way down below....

You can do tailwheel training on GOFER at West London Aero Club, White Waltham. Say hello to her and a kiss on the nose from me.

I've only had a couple of rides in the Chipmunk, we have one now at the gliding club with a Lycoming, and it is well regarded by all who fly it. I have a lot of trouble climbing in and out, however.