PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Leasing Serivices and National Airways Corporation
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 14:19
CentreOfExcellence

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CentreofExcellence, thank you for taking the time to write this. Obviously not positive info for me but definitely useful. Appreciate the volume of info.

Have heard less than good things about Nigeria similar to what you were referring to. Will keep all in mind.
ExpressFO

I actually wasn't being negative about Nigeria. I was indicating that it is one of the best options for an ERJ pilot seeking expat flying in Africa. Having worked extensively all over the African continent, Nigeria included, I can say with some certainty that Nigeria is NOT as bad as you have heard. If you're going by a US Airline crew who tells harrowing tales of armed convoys to a secure hotel compound, warnings of robbery, rape and fatal water/food poisoning at every moment - you're not getting an accurate picture. There are a many people with scary tales of Nigeria who are passing on third-hand information or are trying to confer their limited exposure in a sensational manner.

Nigeria, Lagos in particular, can be dirty, chaotic, frustrating and difficult. Customer service is truly an oxymoron. People who live on the equivalent of US$250 per month or less, can be aggressively enterprising. It's very impersonal. Nigerians are also some of the happiest, friendly, faithful and outgoing people you will find.

I suggest not ruling it out until you've gotten factual information from some ERJ, and other pilots, who have actually worked in Nigeria. You might be surprised by the contrast.