PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 14:11
tigerfish

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Police Radio

Much is still being said about the lack of a Black Box, and like many others I have doubts whether this would have made a great deal of difference in this case.

I spent 30 years as a Police Officer the last 15 of which were closely involved with Police Air Support. Then on retiring from the Police went on to work for one of the aircraft suppliers. - So I do have a bit of knowledge of the systems involved. But what I do not understand, and cannot accept is this. Given that all Police radio transmissions are closely monitored and recorded why has there been no comment what so ever about Police Radio transmissions both to and from that aircraft on the flight in question.

Are we expected to believe that the aircraft took off and flew one or more missions in the 2 hours plus that it was airborne, until the accident itself, and yet no one, either the crew or the control room, said anything either to or from the A/c, or gave instructions or remarked on anything? Or why when the A/C must have been aware that due to its elapsed flight time that it was at least low on fuel, yet it appears to have deviated from its direct in flight path, to then fly overhead the pub. So was it sent there by control? - or did it go there of its own volition? Once again nothing has been said about the Police Radio involvement in this dreadful incident.

When serving as a member of internal investigations in my own force, and very often following a Police motor accident, the first thing that I did was to seize the radio logs. They always contained a wealth of info. So what has the investigation revealed in this case?

Obviously and for security reasons I do not expect the full contents of the logs to be revealed, but I would have expected them to have been remarked on as having been checked in detail and the relevance noted.

tigerfish

Last edited by tigerfish; 2nd Dec 2014 at 23:16. Reason: Grammer