PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Pilotless airliners safer" - London Times article
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 11:11
Basil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When fully automatic airliners* are demonstrated (difficult) AND passengers are willing to fly in them (easier if the price is right) then we will have them. I think I can safely say that it will not happen in my lifetime.
* Yes, I am aware that some outside the profession think it's all automatic now; it ain't.

A good example of human thought process is a situation where all engines on one side have failed accompanied by drag inducing damage on the same side.
If speed is reduced in level flight to configure for landing then speed will drop below Vmca for the damaged condition and, as power on the live engine(s) is increased, more than full rudder will be required and the aircraft will yaw uncontrollably.
The solution is to configure in the descent from, say, 30nm at 10,000ft HAT.
More than moderate power will not then be required - just don't screw up the final approach
That's only one of any number of scenarios which may give a computer difficulty.

Re the perfectly valid comments about human pilot stuff-ups: more and better training! Ah, but that costs money