PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Pilotless airliners safer" - London Times article
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 10:17
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you are all delusional.

Various Militaries are already utilising unmanned and autonomous fixed-wing and rotary vehicles at war.

These are point and click UAVs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoCFE8xVhKA

This is orders of magnitude more difficult for a computer than operating an airliner as anyone who has ever operated a helicopter like this knows.

The difficulty level between a vehicle operating in a war zone and one flying airways between airfields with approach aids is astronomical.

The autopilot has been perfectly capable of operating the aircraft to a successful landing since forever. Since then technology has moved into different realms.
Those who say that computers will never beat Sully to land an airliner on the water or fly an aircraft with bad damage like Siux City are exactly wrong. That is exactly what computers are good at. We all know that a 70s airliner consistently flies more accurately and smoothly and economically than a human. Modern fly by wire systems are astoundingly good at working around faults.

http://www.pprune.org/military-aviat...anding-12.html

Spacecraft have gone unmanned not because space is easier(oh my god the lunacy of that statement!) but because manned is not up to the job.

The airliners you fly are 70s tech, and even then the man is usually just an interference.

We are currently in a transitional phase.

For example.

A malfunction happens.
The ECAM tells us what to do.
It know when we have done it then it moves to the next line.
We are worse than useless. All we can do is mess up and get it wrong.

The sooner they remove the man from that sort of system the better.

Those who think that humans are better in bad weather are even more delusional!
Humans are at their best in VMC because sight is our only valid input when flying. All of our other senses are liable to be spoofed.

A computer can integrate Sight (360degree/spherical) IR, Microwave, radio aid, g, laser, gps the list is endless to find the correct solution. They don't get the leans. The don't get somatographic effects.

Its is a bit like those who are convinced that they are better than ABS breaking in a car.
You are not.
Early ABS was rubbish, but it got better. It is now vastly better than us.

Computers in aircraft are the same.

Don't think I want this to be true, it unfortunately just is.

I got out of flying airliners when I realised thatwas just an interference and went back to flying an aircraft that need me!

Cargo military is already flying unmanned in warzones.

Next I predict USAF Cargo freighters go single pilot. After a few years of exceptional safety next will be civvy cargo single pilot.
Then somebody will take the plunge probably USAF cargo again no pilot.

Before you know it low-cost will dive in.

The manufacturers know it and are spending the money now

http://www.baesystems.com/innovation...3D19va2aj2vn_4

Don't bury your head in the sand. Every pilot error crash brings it closer.
Asiana must be desperate to get one now.