PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flashair Airlines Boeing 737 accident - a lesson from the past.
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 10:00
50 50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not suggesting that you go out and barrel roll a 747, though it has been done. I'm talking about during initial pilot training in a light aircraft, that is fit for the purpose.

If you're doing a command upgrade in a turboprop aircraft, then you must have considerable experience, the question now becomes "why does stalling make you nervous"? Stall recovery is a fundamental flying skill that should be as easy as breathing. It also has the advantage of being able to sustain your life.

Blogs is 100% right, it has to be done often enough to become muscle memory.
How many pilots out there haven't stalled an aircraft since their GFPT? Lots I'm guessing, yet people expect to be able to draw on a long forgotten skill right when your life depends on it.

Having said that, provided there is air underneath you, one can keep an aircraft stalled as long as you want without hurting it, or yourself. Stalls and unusual attitude recovery should be taught from the very beginning, but they just aren't. 1 or 2 lessons is insufficient, and give the illusion of competency.

If half the problem is the crew let it get there in the first place, then surely the other half was an inability to recover.