PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taildragger - in Tiger Moth or Chippie?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 09:28
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Chipmunk is a lovely aeroplane to fly in every way. It's flying characteristics are about as generic as it is possible to get. It certainly demands good flying and tells you if you do something wrong, but is less likely to bite than the Auster. My only criticisms are that the control column was, for my liking, too far forward from the seat and too short. This made it uncomfortable for me on longer trips. I found taxiing difficult also because, like all these aeroplanes it has to be weaved on the ground and it rolls like H3ll on concrete - and those differential brakes take some time to master.
I can't comment on the Auster (a regretful hole in my taildragger experience in that I've never flown one) and for me the stick is fine (light control forces - finger and thumb even in aeros, means it doesn't need to be any longer) but I'd endorse everything else above. I remember my instructor saying during my conversion onto the Chippy back in '79 immediately after gaining my PPL on C150s "if you can taxy this aeroplane accurately, you can fly it".

Those brakes did take a bit of getting used to, but they are of so good for maneuvering on the ground once you do!

The Yak52 also has 'odd' ground steering, with differential brakea and a castoring nosewheel. A single lever on the stick operates the mainwheel air (hiss! hiss! hiss!) brakes in proportion to the rudder position. Awful at first, but second nature once you master it.

I don't get why you would seek out an airplane with crap handling when you can fly ones that are pleasant to handle.....
Oooh! Careful with statements like that! There's one in particular on here who jump down your throat and accuse you of blinkered elitism with statements like that! A statement which, by the way, I agree with 100%.