PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Pilotless airliners safer" - London Times article
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 09:25
Aluminium shuffler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilt, I hope you're selling yourself short - there is no way that an automated or ATC controlled flight is going to be safer or more efficient than many of us manage ourselves - they don't see the short cuts available and don't have the situational awareness or ability to assess performance and options that we pilots have dealing with our one aeroplane, and automatics are not just inflexible but unreliable. I have had many more than three AP disconnects and dozens of FMC failures. Just three nights ago, my autoland lined up with the runway edge just prior to the flare in CatIII conditions and would have stuffed the aircraft into the grass without manual intervention. When the RVRs had dropped so the touchdown zone was below minima, I had to ask for a R/W direction swap to get in because ATC didn't think of it, probably because they can't learn the minima for each and every type they handle. The FMC wouldn't allow the aircraft to descend on the same sector on three consecutive days this week (and I'm sure that is happening every day to others) and almost never gets the descent profile wrong.

So, I'm with you in your assertion that we have to intervene, but I'd dispute how often - I'd say repeatedly on every sector.