PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus shock
Thread: Airbus shock
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2003, 19:14
Rabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LEM

I don't know where you get your info from but as you stated you were not rated on an airbus I believe you should get your facts right before you comment further. In fact there is no digital type speed display on the PFD. If you check the display is not unlike an annalog display just straightened out. The numbers are not small in fact they are larger than those on the Boeing (or any)annalog ASI. In fact as with all "Glass Displays"(Boeing & Airbus), the speed appreciation is far superior to that of a conventional annalog display due mainly to the use of colours. See for yourself, check it on: http://www.meriweather.com/320/320_main.html
Just click on the PFD and see what I mean.

As for your reasoning for the Indian Airlines accident back in 1990, Well it had nothing to do with speed decay or being on an ILS. It was quite simply lack of understanding of the system with a new operator of the type and an attempt to utilize procedures from an older aircraft. Quite simply when you select "OPEN DESCENT" it is precisely that. It is procedure to select a capture altitude that is above the ground not "ZERO" as they did according to their Company procedures at the time. So the aircraft did precicely as it was told to but when the pilots realised their problem it was to late. The aircraft just descended to "ZERO" altitude, unfortunately the ground level was above that. Also if they had had the ILS selected then the aircraft would have captured the G/S thus saving the day as well.

Your comment re the VSI is also unjustified as at the time as any experienced pilot would probably not even be considering it at the time as you are descending and there are more important factors to be monitoring.

As for "they were denied the physical sensorial feedback of those fixed thrust levers, so they didn't realise their IDLE power." Well they had "OPN DES" selected which means idle power which will be clearly dieplayed on the PFD, so I once again think you need to get your facts correct.

How can you say "these two guys (two Captains btw!) were not the best pilots in the world" or "these guys were poorly trained", do you Know them? Have you checked them? or are you just being a little superior.

As for the design, well it has been around noe more than 15 years and the safety record has been exceptional. Sure there has been a few hull losses but compare it with other types. Also see as how these new "modern" designs are out selling everything else then I believe you have your answer.

You might think I am using strong language in these comments - well you are correct. Nothing personal here but lets be professional here. If you don't know the facts - DON'T SPEAK. If you havn't flown Airbus or Boeings, don't comment on things you know nothing about. Sure ask questions - no prob's.

Have a nice day