PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Major G.H. Scott, CBE, AFC
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 09:18
Parseval

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might have some info that can help you - My grandfather Herbert George Cook was in the airship industry first in the RNAS then the Flying Corps - he was on Parseval during WW1 and later after an accident was ground officer on the mooring towers - he would have been on the tower when the R101 left but was ill at the time. After being at Cardington during comstruction of the tower there he oversaw the erection of the Mooring Towers at Ismalia, Egypt and Karachi India in 1927.
After the R101 accident he was involved in wrapping up the industry and managed to save various photos which he passed onto my father before his death.
I now have the materials - though some of the display panels my father made for exhibitions went to Elvington air museum.

I always thought the difference between the R100 and R101 was a typical example of that between private enterprise and political. I would say many of the crew members in the airship industry had a get up and go spirit including my grandfather - it was what attracted them.