PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flashair Airlines Boeing 737 accident - a lesson from the past.
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 06:04
50 50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A-lots of numbers.
I understand the purpose of a simulator. I don't understand how one can be expected to perform an unusual attitude recovery, at night, in IMC, when they have never been exposed to it in day VMC, with a clear horizon.

You could teach a non pilot to fly an instrument approach in a simulator, but surely you would not let them have a crack in a real aircraft, especially if they can't fly a day VMC circuit. I can't think of a more demanding task that a pilot could have to perform, and I just don't see how simulator training alone is sufficient.

It removes the physical sensations, and the "oh Sh!t I'm going to die" panic factor. The same recovery techniques can be taught in a real aircraft, that is fit for the purpose. They are few and far between however, and there is the basic problem. 90% of training aircraft are not suitable for unusual attitude and mishandling training, therefore it is not covered, or only covered in one or two lessons.

There are innumerable pilots and instructors that have never been beyond 60 degrees angle of bank, and then they are expected to perform a recovery, at night, in IMC after some simulator training.