PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mandatory Required Navaids for approach
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2014, 22:42
yonygg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mandatory Required Navaids for approach

Hi there,

My question regards the mandatory required navaids for an approach.
I remember that as a student IFR pilot I was thought that the name of the approach (the one in the heading section of the Jepp. plate) denotes the mandatory required navids that have to be operating in order to execute that approach. For example if the name of the approach is KJFK ILS 13R it means that a DME is not required to be operating in order to execute the approach.

But that didn't make sense, because sometimes the charts state things like: "DME required".

So I read on the Jeppesen Airway Manual and I found a place that says that the mandatory required navaids are the ones that appear both on the heading and under the notes (such as "DME Required").

But this still doesn't make since. Take for example Amsterdam's chart EHAM NDB DME 18C. Under it's name the SPL VOR is not mentioned, nor under the notes. On the other hand the outbound leg for this approach is based of a radial (R-001) of that VOR, and also the MAP is defined as "R-264 SPL".

So according to the Jeppesen Airway Manual the approach can be executed if SPL VOR is unserviceable, but would you really execute this approach when the VOR is U/S under heavy IMC conditions?
I think not. I think I am missing something on the Airway Manual.

Can someone direct me to a legal document (ICAO/FAA/any other CAA) that clearly defines what the mandatory required navaids are for the execution of an instrument approach procedure?

Thank you!