PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taildragger - in Tiger Moth or Chippie?
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2014, 21:44
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emulate a kangaroo unless you put all three wheels down together, fully stalled.

... Or wheel land it.
You can bounce an Auster to a record height if you don't touch down like a feather, 3-point OR wheelie......

'Most of them would crash if they had an engine failure on takeoff the next day'.
That CFI got that right; I did the old 5-hour conversion to an Aztec A, including the test, and was totally clueless as I passed the flying test.

It wasn't just the twin-engine bit; that could to an extent be drilled in if not practised much, eg "live foot live engine", "DH 300ft on one engine" etc etc. It was all the other things that were different from a C172, the biggest I'd flown before that; speed over the ground 160 Kt, CS props, undercarriage, to name but a few. I took my girlfriend (now wife) for a celebratory flight from Biggin to Sleap and back on a cold, misty day. When she asked for a bit of heat I had to lie and say it didn't have one, rather then get the book out.

On the return, the RH engine started to increase revs uncontrollably as we crossed the Thames at 2500 roughly where LCY is now, so I shut it down and landed on one. It turned out that it was something to do with a lever spring (Prop? Power? Can't remember) and all I needed to do was hold it.

No, 6 hours, 10 even, is not nearly enough.

Last edited by Capot; 2nd Dec 2014 at 13:18.