PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time off at other airports
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2014, 14:57
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It won't be long before the circle comes around again. In days past, in a charter EU airline before JAR, we had some long-haul destinations with only 1 or 2 flights per week. Thus there was often a 3,4, or 6 day stop over. Often, due to crew shortage (wonder why, but I'm not going into the whole T's & C's issue) you had 1 day back at base to do your washing and iron your uniform ready for a return on same sort of rotation. When questioned about time off the answer was you'd had 12hours off on day one of return, a whole day on day two and 12 hours before report on day 3 = 48hours off duty. PLUS you had 3 days off duty on the beach and were about to do another such stint.
In those local FTL's there was nothing about acclimatising to local time. Your gut was knotted and so was your bowel, constantly. To the management they'd paid for 6 days on the beach in a 10 day cycle. Time at home was a random thing and not a right.
If the present EASA rules have been written under pressure from the financial forces at play then they will only get worse due to greed and lack of real oversight and respect of human behaviour, even in the light of scientific evidence. Go back to the middle ages and check out you friends from Tollpuddle. Did their grievances have some similarities? Like I said the circle will come around again, but very slowly. Perhaps the glamour times after the formation of the 1st airlines were too luxurious, cosy and unrealistic for todays modern times, but the pendulum is in great danger of swinging way too far the other way: perhaps it already has. It's momentum needs to be arrested and reversed, slightly, but with care and due consideration into a balanced position. It will never return to the good old glory days, but share holder power (since all the old nationals were privatised) will be a formidable opponent and will need some strong persuading. Education of the pax will be a start. The brute force of strikes will not achieve the desired longterm effect. It will take astute concentrated thought & action to redirect the trend in a positive win win way for all parties.