PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in the States
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2014, 12:42
dera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
piperarcher's point nr. 1 is valid, you should not go to the US for a bargain PPL. It costs atleast the same if not more than around Europe. It is a fantastic experience though.

Point 2, the paperwork and hassle, is not correct in my experience. The paperwork/visa is a non-issue. Anyone who can spare a day for the interview can get it done no problems whatsoever. Interview took me 2 hours of waiting and 30 seconds of interviewing. "Hi, you want to be a pilot then? You seem to have your paperwork in order and you don't have previous problems with the law, no problems, visa will be in the mail in a few days". People are afraid for it for no reason.

Point 3, Florida weather is far from stable, I've learnt alot more about go/no-go decisions in the US than I have in Europe. Weather is different, but your license is valid worldwide, doesn't really matter where you learn that stuff, unless you only plan to fly locally. It's like saying you shouldn't train in Aberdeen because you live in Cornwall because the weather is different.

A big thing about the US schools you should remember is, that most places bill you by the Hobbs, not tacho/block time. This means, that you get much less actual air time. Not a problem if you just want to knock through it quickly, and have the basic aptitude for flying. For some people it means you need 60+ hours of Hobbs-time before you learn enough to take the checkride. For anyone with that abstract "basic aptitude", doing it in 2-3 weeks and 40 hours is a walk in the park.