PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 1st Dec 2014, 09:14
zorab64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Pitts, but where is all this money going to come from to fund an increase in expert engineers & analysts who already do a difficult job, with impressive results? I don't like to criticise, but I'm afraid your statement
What might be money better spent is a significant increase in the amount of funding / resourcing of the AAIB.
appears a little simplistic given the really very small number of accidents, the constant drive for improved safety, and the significant improvements in both manufactured & affordable add-on technology that allow pilots greater awareness, whilst at the same time often result in interrogate-able evidence by AAIB.

The EC135 remains a 3rd generation helicopter with a modern & comprehensive warning suite of imminent or potential failures. As someone who flies them, and who daily reviews reactions in the event of failures and, possibly more importantly, systems knowledge & understanding, I have full confidence that the belt & braces warning systems will provide me with enough information to greatly assist a keep-us-alive decision. The actions / interim reports need to satisfy the pilots; operators; customers; press; & public, pretty much in that order - IMHO they have done, until the proper report appears. I'm happy to wait.

This accident, due to its tragically unique landing point and stopped rotors has, not surprisingly, drawn considerable interest from more than just professional aviators. The resultant report, therefore, should surely concentrate on getting it as right as they possibly can, leaving no stone unturned (as has been intimated), rather than providing a sop to a generally non-understanding media and a minority of armchair experts.

On a separate note, and looking at your non-existent profile, I was intrigued by your prolific pprune posting rate of 0.64. It's not bettered by many of the most prolific on rotorheads (just sampling SS; TC; JTT & MG as examples), just SS at 0.87 who, with the ability to restrict rants &/or condense more than one item in a post, might fall below yours! {Tongue in cheek, SS, in case you were planning a rant, we're on the same side. . .}