PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying/Instructing in Thailand
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2014, 19:36
flyerr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flying/Instructing in Thailand

All,

I've been a silent member for a while now, keeping an eye on the forums and trying to soak up what knowledge I can. I haven't seen anything specifically addressing my questions, though, so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm a new flight instructor with a part-time job at a flight school in the US. I expect to have a hundred or so hours of instruction given before I move to Bangkok in the summer for work, and I want to continue flying. As my day job pays sufficiently, I'm not looking for WORK, per se, so much as an opportunity to keep current and stay in the air.

1) How does the conversion/validation process from US to Thai licenses work? The latest info I saw here was dated 2010, and it has likely changed, given the recent changes in government.

2) What opportunities are there for me to instruct there? I don't care about being paid - which might not be allowed anyway, under the terms of my visa - but I'm willing to spend my free time teaching if there will be an opportunity to do so. Obviously, I'll need either an N-registered plane or a Thai license.

3) How desirable, over there, is an FAA-certified instructor who speaks native American English? I speak passable conversational Thai, though I'm by no means fluent.

Thanks to all for reading.

Last edited by flyerr; 20th Dec 2014 at 20:53.