PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TOPCLIFFE musings.
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2014, 17:18
Basil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
APO on the Topcliffe Student Aircrew Holding Unit for a month in '66. Pretty much a waste of time except that I first saw the agreeable face of discipline there.
Situation: GF in 3 Tuns with, of course, Bas also in residence. On last morning, carry luggage to car, drop GF at railway station and roll up for another exciting day at SAHU.

Just before lunch the Flt Lt O/C SAHU says "APO Basil, did you spend last night in the 3 Tuns?"
Bas: "Yes Sir."
O/C SAHU: "With a woman?"
Bas: Thinks to say "No, Sir, with a man!" but rejects humour in place of simple affirmative.
O/C SAHU: "Well, the Stn Cdr wants to see you at 1330!"
Bas: (F*ck!) "Yes, Sir."

Spend lunch pressing, ironing and polishing and present to Stn Cdr's Sec.
Sec: "APO Basil to see you, Sir."
Stn Cdr: "Send him in."
Bas: (Snapping up smart salute) "APO Basil reporting as ordered, Sir."
Stn Cdr: "At ease, Basil." (Bas now notes that instead of Gp Capt, an aged (54.9 yo) Wg Cdr is in the seat)
Stn Cdr: "The Stn Cdr is off to a meeting and I'm standing in for him. Now, did you spend last night in the 3 Tuns with your GF?"
Bas: Yes, Sir."
Stn Cdr: "Jolly good show!" "If I was your age that's exactly what I'd do!"
Bas: Thinks: 'Bally heck! A nice senior officer who isn't giving me a bollocking!"
Stn Cdr: The thing is; this bloody hotel proprietor 'phoned the guardroom and says that you double occupied a room which was booked as a single and wants an extra 10/6d. Could you go around there and give him his money and next time don't park your car where he can see the station pass."
Bas: (Much relieved) Yes, Sir. Thank you, Sir."

Celebrated that GF's birthday with a family dinner in London last night and I believe she's cooking duck ce soir