PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Extreme Hold Joins
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2014, 14:46
FlyingStone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Amadis of Gaul
Probably parallel entry, keeping in mind that recommended entries are just that, recommended, not required.
Well, technically speaking, wording in ICAO Doc 8168 includess the word shall, so it's a strong obligation.

1.4.1 The entry into the holding pattern shall be according to heading in relation to the three entry sectors shown
in Figure I-6-1-2, recognizing a zone of flexibility of 5° on either side of the sector boundaries.
However, practically speaking, I'd choose the simplest entry (lower workload) with the smallest turn (less chance to deviate outside of protected area).

Originally Posted by Lafyar Cokov
For example joining a hold that is inbound on 180 Right turns and joining on a heading of 105 - what would be the correct way to join the hold??
If I understand correctly, inbound course is 180°? In this case you are really on the limit (sector boundary + 5° flexibility). Why would you want to complicate your life by picking (since you are within +/-5° from the sector boundary, you can pick the entry) the more difficult entry of the two? And by the way, if you are above MSA, you can do just whatever you like.

Keep it simple, stupid. Works every time.