PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VOR/DME Approach Chart
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2014, 08:53
OzExpat

PPRuNeaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May I inject some realism to this discussion?

Initial Approach speed is essentially used to determine splayed angle between outbound and inbound track. This often results in different outbound courses for a common final approach track. Let me say, right here, is that I hope that I'll never have to fly with a pilot who doesn't have the first clue where outbound timing commences

Okay, the splay angle (aforementioned) is based on the outbound max IAS for category and a max bank angle of 25 degrees. This is done because the procedure designer, regardless of his or her flying experience, cannot predict the point at which a pilot will reach the point at which a lower IAS is required. Prior to final approach in a non-precision approach, the design speed and bank angle are assumed under Pans Ops - and TERPs, for that matter.

But you better be at the appropriate speed for final approach when passing the FAF!

Now then, you don't go below 2200 until established on final approach. Period. If you want to*make*a CDA approach, you'll find a few airports where obstacles have been placed, seemingly without regard for a 3-degree approach. That's life and it happens so suck it up and deal with it professionally.

If it means that you can't reach MDA at your precious 3-degree approach then, hey, YOUR MDA will be higher. Your company procedures should account for that in SOPs - in some countries, there's actually a legal requirement for this. There's an expression that covers this situation admirably - Proper Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.