PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2014, 21:24
Soteria

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Senators + 1 ...... ASA - 3

I did ask myself: Where was the safety regulator while all these apparent systemic LAHSO breaches were occurring over such a long period at Tulla?
Not to forget the other important issues such as the chasing of mischievous chopper pilots and arranging of pot plant decorations in ergonomically compliant buildings. Plus the earning of A380 endorsements and bull****ting the Senate soaks up a bit of time.

As I stated earlier, it's interesting how it takes a Senator to expose a safety issue and get it rectified. That's no disrespect to Nick as he is an intelligent man, but why does it take a SA politician to identify something the Regulator should've known? And the fix was introduced so quickly. If one was a sceptic one could say it was done so quickly so as to bury the issue quickly??? The best bit is that even with a head cold, Xenophon and his companions Sterle and Heff pissed all over the ASA in a articulate and succinct manner. It was poetry in motion.

Just a Sunday pondering, but;
- I do wonder though how such a robust 'latent' condition as the now identified LAHSO issue could supposedly go undetected for 2 years? Where was CASA's third party oversight?
- How is it that CASA didn't pick this up during a third party audit? (Assuming CASA has been meeting its responsibilities and has been auditing such a safety critical component of air operations).
- Does CASA not have a robust audit program in place for auditing ASA? Can CASA produce said audit program including a list of audits undertaken over the past few years, including a summary of all findings to the point that mitigation was implemented, and a review of any mitigation strategies undertaken post implementation so the 'loop' is closed?
- Should CASA have issued a NCN, or indeed a safety alert?
- Will the scalps of Cromarty (finally) and Hoody be sought?

Ho hum, just another day in the lives of CASA and ASA, with the ATSB not to be forgotten. C'mon FAA and ICAO, you know you want to......

Last edited by Soteria; 29th Nov 2014 at 21:37.