PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drones threatening commercial a/c?
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2014, 07:54
Mark in CA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This interesting article from Slate addresses the "monkey with a quadcopter" issue pretty well.

Best drone gifts: DJI Phantom, Parrot AR, Rolling Spider reviewed.

I again followed the steps in the Quick Start Guide—calibrating, starting the propellers, nudging the drone into the air with the joystick. The events that followed are seared into my brain like freeze frames from a car accident. The drone zoomed to a height of 50 feet or so, far above the top of that tall chain-link fence I’d been counting on to limit potential damage. The airborne monster did not respond to my frantic jiggling of the joystick, or to my plaintive cries of “Come back!” Instead it rose and rose—and then suddenly rocketed sidewise at alarming velocity. I watched in terror as it flew across a busy street and crashed into the third story of a tall building. It tumbled to the sidewalk with a clatter of broken, scattering plastic.
“The most dangerous thing in that box is the Quick Start Guide,” says Peter Sachs, a drone advocate and the founder of the Drone Law Journal. “There should be no such thing..."
Interesting, too, is the reference above to the Drone Law Journal:

Drone Law Journal | Legal News & Info About Drones, UAVs and Remote-Controlled Model Aircraft by Peter Sachs, Esq.

If nothing else, it's good that this conversation is taking place and raising awareness of the issues.