PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VOR/DME Approach Chart
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2014, 02:37
Errajane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VOR/DME Approach Chart

I've not seen an approach chart like this before, since coming to Asia so I'm wondering if I have interpreted the chart correctly. My question lies in when the timing of 2.5 minutes actually begins before turning inbound. This is how I have interpreted the chart. (I fly category B aircraft)

1. After over MIA VOR, track outbound on 001 deg and commence descent from 3000 ft (at an arbitrary 500 ft/min).

2. On reaching 2200 ft, maintain this altitude and start timing for 2.5 minutes. At a groundspeed of 120 knots, this will give a distance of 8.2 NM from the VOR. (3.2 NM during the descent at 500 ft/min, and 5 NM during the 2.5 min level segment)

3. When 2.5 minutes timing is up, commence the turn to intercept the inbound course 166 deg. Maintain 2200 ft until 6.4 DME from MIA, and then commence the descent to the MDA.

4. If no visual contact by 1.7 DME, commence the Missed Approach Procedure.

The ambiguity lies in when the 2.5 minutes timing begins. Where I come from and where I've been trained, we usually commence the timing overhead the VOR station outbound, but that obviously isn't the case with this procedure as that would not give you sufficient distance to commence the inbound descent at 6.4 DME.

Have I interpreted this chart correctly? Your thoughts appreciated.