PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2nd Segment climb gradient.
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2014, 08:56
JABBARA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for answers,

Gysbreght, in fact, my intention was to learn the effect of operator selected acceleration altitude, on second segment climb limited weight.

Let me go a little be details:

I quickly checked AC 25-7A. I did not come across a clear description of "steady climb", but I guess it implies your explanation.

So what I understand, in case of engine failure of a twin around V1 and continue to take off, for a given weight, it is enough if a 2.4% gradient is even momentarily available only at the beginning of second segment (35 feet) at V2 speed. Obviously, as maintaining this speed (=Steady Climb) the available gradient will be less and less. At the chosen acceleration altitude by the operator (e.g 800 feet), the available gradient will be less than 2.4% (e.g 1.5%) but does not matter.
If my above understanding is correct, then overall climb gradient will be less than 2.4%. In another word, when acceleration altitude is reached the actual climb gradient will be an average of 2.4% and 1.5%.

From all above, if there is no obstacle in the take off direction (i.e towards sea), changing the minimum acceleration altitude will not change second segment limited take off weight.

Any comment?

Last edited by JABBARA; 28th Nov 2014 at 13:26. Reason: number correction