PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoon Radar
Thread: Typhoon Radar
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2014, 03:09
O-P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whisperer,

I joined in 1982 as a Brat then served on 29, flew the F3 from '88-05. (229, 25, 111, 1435, 56, 5, 56, 25, 1435, 25). Yep, I know the banter from both sides!

I have never flown any aircraft, RAF or Foreign, Military or Civil, that didn't have some "Red or Green"...and known reliability problems.

I accept your point that in peace-time it was extremely frustrating to DNCO so many training missions due to weapon system failures. However, I flew 47 missions "sausage side" without an air abort. We both know that on operations the spares support, sortie rates and general standard/preparation of the jets led to higher reliability. That's basically saying that Sqns operating in the UK were left scratching around for spares, or the spares didn't work because they were the wrong MOD state. (Fleets within fleets)

The basic problem is that idiots pay for junk that doesn't meet the spec in the 'glossy brochure', then spend another fortune paying the same company to put it right. This normally takes several attempts.

I thought my car analogy was quite good thanks! As it happens I have just returned my new car to the dealership under my States 'Lemon' law and been given a full refund. The car wouldn't come out of "limp home mode" Don't buy an Audi! Off to buy an F-Type on Tuesday!

Would you buy another Lada?

Last edited by O-P; 28th Nov 2014 at 04:11.